You’re bored. I get it. You’re new to Whole 30 or eating clean. Eating in a new way can be challenging, and it can get boring because you don’t fully know what you are allowed to eat. OR maybe you’ve done a few rounds of Whole 30 before, but you’ve hit a slump and aren’t feeling very creative with your meals. I’ve been there. For the most part I just ate eggs and sugar free bacon every day, which are fine and yummy, but I got BORED of them! That’s when I created this amazing Whole 30 Southwestern breakfast bowl. Even if you aren’t doing the Whole 30 challenge, I bet you’re gonna love this!
I’m gonna level with you guys – I love flavours and spices. I use a lot of them when I cook for myself, and I never measure. But I will show you what I did to create this bowl, and you can decide for yourselves how flavourful/spicy you want it. I can’t handle that kind of pressure, you guys! Everyone’s tastebuds are different! B and I love SPICE while Mike prefers less kick. If you want more kick, add more spices. Less, then just follow the recipe word for word.
In addition to the spice level, you can also play with the ingredients of this dish. If you don’t want chicken, try sausage or ham (not Whole 30 unless you’re aware of all of the ingredients, and it doesn’t have added sugar). If you prefer yellow, orange, or green peppers – by all means! Whatever tickles your fancy. The most important thing is that your bowl is topped with a perfectly fried egg and some freshly cracked pepper.
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 a medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 slices of sugar free bacon
- 1/4 to 1/2 cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 egg
- freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Peel and chop your potato into bite size pieces. Boil.
- While your potato is boiling, chop up your onion, red pepper, bacon, and cooked chicken breast.
- In a pan or wok on medium-high heat, add olive oil, onion, red pepper, and bacon. Fry until onions are golden and bacon is cooked (not crispy). Add chicken.
- Drain potato and add to pan.
- Add all spices (you can mix them ahead of time to save time if you wish).
- Mix everything in the pan well until potatoes begin to get golden, crispy edges.
- Put that into your bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, crack your egg and place it under a cooking lid with a pinch of water. Keep adding pinches of water, covering, and continue cooking until you see the egg whites are no longer translucent.
- Remove from pan and place on top of your breakfast bowl.
- Top with fresh cracked pepper (and hot sauce if you wish!)
For more Whole 30 breakfast ideas, check out my Whole 30 Hashbrowns or Bacon and Egg Cups! You can also read about my experience with the challenge, and find MORE recipes by visiting my Whole 30 archives HERE!
Have you done the Whole 30 challenge? What did you like to eat for breakfast?